Share | 

The Lights of Harmony

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
EvenMotion
I don't post outside of Lights Of Harmony

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   23/12/2012, 10:17 am

Lightning smiled and nipped at her ear. "You'll be fine. The Princesses are probably expecting all five of us."

She lead them through the hallway into the dining hall mentioned on the note. There was a small table with seven chairs seated around it. To one side, Luna was enjoying what looked to be a plate with bread and butter on it. A toasted slice hovered in the air near her mouth as she took a bite of it. Celestia on the other hand has a small slice of cake, with a tiny fork stuck in its side. A cup of tea settled back down in her saucer as they entered the room.

Celestia smiled. "Good Morning, Lady Hurricane. I trust your sleep was most satisfying."

Lightning bowed. "Indeed it was. Thank you for the accommodations on short notice."

Celestia laughed likely. "Please, no need to be so formal, it's too early for this to be an official audience. Besides, you are my sister's student. I never thought of keeping so formal anymore."

"'Tia. " Luna scowled, playing at being hurt, "How dare you even jest that I teach manners to my students."

Lightning looked confusedly at the princesses. They in turn looked at each other and started to laugh.

Luna smiled and motioned to the empty seats. "I suppose we'll settle for two of you. I guess the other three are having a more satisfying 'sleep' than you two did."

Lightning blushed and cleared her throat. She crossed the room and sat at the table, Mist joining her a few moments later. Several cooks brought out an array of fruits, grasses, bread, and pastries to select from. They even brought out a tray with a selection of many teas. Luna skipped those and went straight for the pot of coffee, while Celestia, politely nodded for a refill of some sort.

"Feel free to help yourself," Celestia added.

The two longer ones can be found on Equestria Daily!
Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   23/12/2012, 10:54 am

Mist grabbed a few slices of toast with her magic, a blueberry flavored tart, and a cup of Earl Gray tea. She calmly ate a slice of toast and sipped her tea with practice calm. A small thought with a large consequence went through her head and made her feel worried. She had to ask.

Mist set her cup down and spoke.

"Princess Celestia?"

The Princess gave Mist her attention. Mist bit her lip and looked around. No guards that she could see, and no other cook or maid was around. She spoke quietly, but loudly enough for her to hear.

"I need to know Vigilate's status right now. I know that we had to expose ourselves in order to keep Noble Victory's guards and troops back, and we even had to do a large scale attack in Canterlot in order to keep them at bay. Firearms, forbidden magic, I'm sure a lot of ponies had probably seen them."

She rubbed her foreleg.

"Our position as the secret guardians of the Princesses may have gained some attention, which could prove to be harmful. And I'm sure that the population will not take kindly to a secret that has been kept for over a thousand years, especially since we carry such a powerful mission."

Mist looked Celestia straight in the eyes.

"I need to know what will happen. What is our status?"

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   23/12/2012, 5:46 pm

Princes Celestia lowered her teacup and looked thoughtful. "Not many ponies know about those that work behind the scenes to protect them. Just because they aren't just a rumor, doesn't mean that their effectiveness should be degraded. It may take time of course, but ponies should feel safer knowing somepony's looking after them."

Luna nodded in assent. Lightning munched on the last of her croissant. The princess of the night shifted her eyes over to her student.

"Now there is a bit more to discuss - in the way of your inheritance." Luna set down her empty mug of coffee. "I didn't get a chance to talk about it yesterday, but there was some concessions from the former representatives, which add up to the state of House Hurricane at its last count."

She levitated a scroll onto the table. "I won't go into the details of exactly what each representative family was holding onto, but it was a lot." Lightning took a peek inside and turned noticeable pale.

"There is also the manor, which was built during your time recovering. At home and in the hospital. We commissioned it to be in Ponyville if you hadn't seen the construction north of the town."

Lightning felt a little woozy and overwhelmed at the news.

"There are also the other traditional holdings - the Cloudsdale Weather Ponies are yours to command. I would say you should appoint an advisor, but you've proven to be able to spin up hurricanes alone, with a few tornado watchers."

Luna leaned back in her chair, unaware of the look Celestia was giving her. "There is also the technical case surrounding the Wonderbolts. They used to be an elite fighting group, but with nopony to teach them Weather Wing, they've become athletes instead. Technically you have military claim to them and their talents."

"And on the topic of fighting, have you considered guard-"

"Luna!" Celestia yelled. Luna looked up and over at her sister. One nod of the head in Lightning's direction had her cringe. She had overloaded to pegasus with just a fraction of what her family dealt with, not even considering the stress she had carried over from wartime.

"Sorry. There is a lot to discuss. I was careless not to think about your current state of affairs before thrusting everything on you at once."

Lightning shook her head slowly. "I need a list. I can't eat all of this up at once. Perhaps we should call Fine Print to help break things into more manageable pieces just to sort it all out."

Luna nodded. "She would be of some assistance. She is a lawyer, if I remember correctly."

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   23/12/2012, 6:23 pm

Mist, despite feeling overwhelmed, which came from both her and Lightning, still managed to try to lighten the mood.

"And a very good lawyer at that!"

She chuckled as she took a quick sip of her tea and placed it back on the saucer.

"I'm happy to hear that the Vigilate are still on good standing. I shouldn't have been worried. After all, our mission is to protect the Princesses, not care what others think."

She took a bite out of the blueberry tart and washed it down with another sip of tea.

"I could probably help as well, the organization I mean. Fine is great with legal stuff and has pretty deep connections with some ponies and the like. If you need someone with specific talents, she could pull them out in a week or more."

She looked at Princess Luna.

"I think I have something of a small plan now, if it can be agreeable. Having her move to Ponyville could prove to be easy on a physical sense, but I can tell that she would want us to come with her."

She smiled and nuzzled Lightning before facing Luna again.

"It would be easy to get her to Ponyville, but for us, it would require me to move out of my apartment room, Fas doesn't seem to have a home, since she lived in the guilds, but Gold and Stone would be the toughest. They technically still own their electronics shop, so they would have to sell the building and try to set up their business in Ponyville. Their connections with Lord Fancy Pants and the model Fleur de Lis should ensure them some good real estate."

Mist rubbed her chin.

"For the Cloudsdale Weather Ponies, if Lightning does decide to train the Wonderbolts, then pointing an adviser, a trustworthy one at that, would lessen the stress. I may know a few that could help."

The unicorn sat back and sighed, a little out of breath. She still smiled at Lightning though. She took another bite out of her tart and swallowed. She spoke up again.

"Of course, these are my ideas. I think all the other options should be put on the table so that we can look them over and consider the best course of action."

Mist patted Lightning on the shoulder.

"And before you say anything Lightning, hon, it's useless to think we should stay behind. Gold, Stone, Fas, and I will follow you wherever you go. We'll find ways to get to Ponyville. You can count on it."

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 2:05 am

Luna smiled. "I see Lightning has chosen her mares well." She levitated a scroll and a quill, writing down a short note, before sending it off into the hallway. "Expect all the particulars in your room in a few hours. You can sort through it at your leisure, but... some of it is time sensitive. I'll put a red ribbon around those."

She looked back at Lightning. "By the way, since we're on the topic of inhertances, have you discussed having heirs of your own?"

Lightning choked on her tea, a huge blush coming across her face.

"Luna..." Celestia warned.

"What?" Lightning asked.

"Foals. Has it come up in discussion yet?"

Lightning nodded sheepishly, looking over at Mist. "I... I've only spoken with Stone. To entertain the idea. But it's too early for that and herds are notorious for being unable to handle children in the mix and think of the bullying, I wouldn't want my foals having the same life I-"

Luna sighed, sticking a hoof against her lips. "It's ok. Talk about it when you're ready."

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 5:36 am

"Foals....?"

Mist carried a shell-shocked expression as her head dipped, now looking and the plate in front of her. Her face changed expressions quickly before stopping on indifference. She turned and faced Lightning.

She spoke in an even tone.

"A foal....?"

She smiled, a twinkle in her eye.

"I guess that if we had a foal, you'd be 'Daddy' Lightning?"

She winked and laughed.

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 6:11 am

Lightning pounded on her chest trying to clear her coughing from getting the tea down the wrong pipe. She couldn't believe what she was hearing - from either of them.

"W-we can talk about it more later. Needless to say, I don't knew if we've been together long enough to have foals. That and we aren't a registered herd so... any foal we'd have before then would be... uh..."

Celestia grimaced. Luna closed her eyes. "Unable to inherit. I know."

A small silence passed between them.

"Well," Celestia said, rising from her seat. "I must take my leave to tend to the day court. I'll have something sent upstairs for your other mares."

Lightning nodded and bowed as she trotted out into the hall. Luna smiled at them both. "I must also take my leave, if I'm to notify Miss Fine Print that you have need of her. Again, you will have a list of your holdings a bit later today."

Luna stood, and Lightning and Mist followed out of the room. She watched Luna go, before turning to Mist. Without warning she kissed her firmly, almost pressing her into the wall. When she broke away, she nuzzled against her neck. "I love you."

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 6:27 am

Mist smiled, blushing from the kiss, and embraced her, nuzzling the pegasus's cheek.

"I love you too."

She pecked her on the cheek, then turned, now making her way down the hall with Lightning by her side. Mist pursed her lips in thought as they walked and made a turn.

"Hmm, now that we got that out of the way, I wonder what we should do now."

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 10:31 am

"I don't know." She lead them around the corner, retracing her steps back to her room.

As she opened the door she noticed both Golf and Fas placing new sheets from a cart onto the bed. The room was also noticeably neater and still smelled fresh like the castle gardens. The sound of water in the bathroom was probably Stone taking a shower.

The other thing that caught her eye was a neat stack of about thirty scrolls sitting on another small cart. The three on top were wrapped with the red ribbons Luna was talking about.

Lightning hesitantly trotted over, opened one of the ribbon-less scrolls, and promptly fainted.

((Later))

It was just past noon when Fine Print arrived and about an hour after that, they had huddled in the library after coaxing an extremely reluctant Lightning to deal with some of the pile.

Lightning looked over at Fine Print before unrolling the first scroll she was given. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Lady Lightning?"

Lightning looked up. A scrawny young mare, no more than a first year in college, stood at the other end of the table. She was a timid unicorn from the looks of it - a perrywinkle-pink coat, deep blues and bright sunny yellows in her long mane and braided tail. Her mane had wild, unruly curls which she brushed behind her ears as they fell in front of her face.

Just being looked at was enough to get the unicorn to squirm and fidget under their collective gaze. "Princess Luna s-said, I might have an opportunity to work with you. I'm a, uh, student at Canterlot University."

Lightning looked behind her to see Princess Luna standing in the doorway. She shot the pegasus a gentle glance.

"What are you studying?"

The unicorn shifted in her spot, "A-Accounting."

Ah. Lightning nodded. "Are you a first-year student?"

She shook her head. "Accelerated p-program. G-graduated regular school early. I graduate in a few m-months."

She looked at Mist. The poor student was practically shaking in her horseshoes. Luna probably meant for her to hire the student. Putting a hoof in the door for the shy mare was peculiar.

"Where did you go to regular school?"

The other unicorn looked back at the door. Luna had already left, which had her visually shaking. "Princess Luna's S-School for G-Gifted Students."

Lightning raised an eyebrow. She knew about that school. You needed either a lot of money, or to be brilliant and come from nothing. Judging by the way she was acting, she was the latter.

"How's your scribe work?" Lightning asked.

"I have classical and modern training-"

"I'll give you five hundred bits to help transcribe, tally, and organize these accounts. If you want to stay on after the fact, we'll figure out a reasonable wage."

The mare looked as though the rug had been pulled out from beneath her. "Uh, I-"

"There are some legal papers you'll have to sign for confidentiality purposes. You ok with that?"

"Yes, uh-"

Lightning smiled, "Good. So ready to start?"

"Y-y-y-" she took a deep breath as if she were getting ready to explode. After a moment, she let it out and composed herself. "Yes. Thank you."

Lightning nodded. "Fine? Can you grab some legal confidentiality stuff?"

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 10:58 am

Fine nodded and sighed, making her way to grab a few scrolls for them to go over. Being cautious, she placed them in front of Lightning and the shy mare that was now helping them. She took a deep breath and looked at the scroll.

Her heart beat hard enough that she could hear it in her ears.

"Good Goddesses....I knew that the Hurricane House carried a lot of holdings, but to have all of this for one pegasus?"

She suddenly grinned large enough that her teeth were showing. There was an unrecognizable gleam in her eye.

Fine rubbed her forehooves together and chuckled and she looked over at Lightning.

"It has been too long since I've had such a challenge. This might actually be rather exciting!"

She laughed lightly and started going over the scroll.

"Hmm, seeing as how we have a lot of work ahead of us, it'll require lots of coffee and plenty of treats. I suggest something with a sour tart and with plenty of calories. We'll need them if we are to complete this task."

She looked over at Mist, who had been standing by the entire time.

"And I do believe that you should be our guard, Mist darling. Please keep watch for us?"

Mist smiled and nodded as she sat by a bookcase, her eyes scanning the room.

Fine took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Alright girls....let's get to work."

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 1:18 pm

"B-by the way, I'm Quick Wit." The younger mare said. She levitated a quill and began reading and signing the papers. It took her a few minutes to get through the papers before sliding them back to Fine Print.

She eyed some of the papers. "Where's the original document?"

Lightning went over to one of the library carts and dragged over a huge musty tome. "This was the last record book with the holdings from about 800 years ago. I want to start with the finances. We'll start fresh like planned."

Wit nodded and dragged over the new empty record book. The quill dipped into the ink vial and she dug herself into the book.

Lightning began to read off the first scroll. "First account, inherited from Canterlot Treasury - holdings deposited by Lord Typhoon for future heir. Declassified for internal purposes, blah blah.... Ah. From the Royal Treasury to the Hurricane Vault when established, 500,000 bits, the Green Eyes of Hale valued at one million bits each, jewel holdings from Gemstone Cavern, the Platinum Mines, and others - estimated value, ten million bits."

She looked at the others who looked extremely surprised. "Ready for the next one?"

It was several hours before they waded through her new holdings. She had a throbbing headache from reading out the scrolls for Wit. It looked Like Fine was having trouble figuring out how she could manage all of the new responsibilities being thrust on her.

Lightning reached for another scroll, unraveling it. She was slightly relieved that it wasn't more ownership papers.
"These are required responsibilities scrolls now. All fourteen of these. But, I think I can read these tomorrow."

She scooped the scrolls they already went through and plopped them on the cart. She rubbed her temples in frustration. "What was the total again?"

"Your inherited net worth before the part due to the treasury is about 261 million bits." Quick Wit seemed relaxed, ticking away at her scratch paper, double checking her math, and the calculator. After about a half an hour she had finally settled into a comfortable groove. She was relaxed - in the zone as it was.

Lightning nodded a few times before putting her head against the table. Whatever Mist was doing was starting to wear off. She could feel her frustration bubbling far under her resolve to keep controlled.

"Quick Wit, give me your particulars so I can call you tomorrow to arrange payment. Then we can all go back to our rooms."

With her head still on the table she turned it to the side to look at Fine.

"I think Pyro and Gold went shopping or something. Pyro and you have a room at the castle, courtesy of the princesses."

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 1:33 pm

Fine sighed and smiled as she pulled the reading glasses she had been wearing off. Her eyes were badly strained from the reading and she had to take a short break earlier in order to pick them up.

"Thank you Lightning. I'm sure Pyro will be happy to hear the news."

Mist made her way over and began to run a hoof through Lightning's mane, her horn glowing as the rune started to recharge its power. She leaned over to whisper in her ear.

"It's not healthy to continuously repress the urges and frustration, especially with what you had to do today. If I keep holding it back, it's going to back up behind the dam, and once my spell wears off or starts to weaken, the dam will leak and eventually burst. In short, the more it's held back, the worse you're going to feel once it weakens."

She gave Lightning an encouraging smile, before looking back at the main door into the area. Her gaze narrowed.

"We might have to leave soon. Even though the traffic of ponies hasn't changed, I've counted the appearance of a specific stallion walking in front of the library a total of twenty-five times, and waiting periods included. He may just have questions, but we should be careful either way."

Fine nodded as she pulled the purse she had been carrying around her neck, placing her reading glasses in them.

"Whatever happens, darlings, I'm glad we're having something akin to peace right now."

She smiled at Lightning.

"My career has not been affected in the slightest from our little journey. It's as though I only went on vacation! Even though a few clients are quite upset, their cases are quite easy to win."

She nervously rubbed her hooves together.

"And....I suppose I'm sorry about what happened so long ago, Lightning. I should know that the fate of Equestria is worth more than the career of one pony."

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 2:15 pm

Lightning rose from her seat and dragged Fine into a big hug. "You don't need to apologize. It's all forgiven."

She let go an stretched. Quick Wit slid the paper with her information on it to Lightning. Lightning smiled and nodded. "Come back to the castle tomorrow and we'll discuss getting you the bits."

The mare nodded and bowed. Thank you, Lady-"

"Just Lightning, will do."

She blushed. "Yes, Lightning." The mare hurried out of the room, leaving the book on their cart. Lightning grimaced and whispered something into Mist's ear. She pulled away and laid a kiss on her lips.

"Can we go?"

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 2:49 pm

Mist smiled and nodded. She stretched her legs, the joints popping from the stiffness, and then started out the door, Fine and Lightning by her sides. Her eyes glowed faintly as she tracked the ponies that walked by them, making sure to protect Lightning and Fine. They may be in the clear, but that doesn't mean that a few ponies with high opinions won't try something.

Her ears perked as she heard hurried hoofsteps. She turned her head, her horn glowing, when she spotted the unicorn stallion that had been watching the library. His coat was a bright yellow with a dark green mane and tail, both neatly styled and groomed. His black tux was cleaned and pressed. His entire presence oozed nobility, and Mist didn't like where this was going. Neither did Fine, who was watching him suspiciously.

Mist turned to whisper to Lightning.

"There's the stallion. Seems like nobility, if his expensive suit and groomed mane is any indication."

Fine whispered this time.

"Careful around the upper class, they are rather good with words."

They both looked at the stallion as he brushed passed them, moving to stand by Lightning while pushing Fine away a little. Mist felt the fur on her neck prickle at the closeness he was trying to enforce.

The stallion didn't even notice as he spoke.

"Ah, Lady Hurricane, it is a delight to meet your acquaintance."

He moved to stand in front and turned, causing the group to stop as he faced them. Mist was feeling hostility brewing in her chest.

"Now Lady Hurricane, if you'll excuse the help to move onto other business, I can talk with you privately."

Mist stepped a hoof in front of Lightning as she moved forward slightly.

"And who are you to tell others what to do?"

The stallion scoffed and gave Mist a look that made her want to make him sink into the floor as though it were water, just like with Noble Victory.

"Well, I am Lord Legato, heir to the Legato fortune and descendant of one of the most well known musicians in history. My family carries ties to some of the most influential musicians in all of Equestria."

Mist waved a hoof.

"Hey, can you turn it down? The hot air you're blowing is making the room hotter."

Lord Legato glared at her.

"You will do your best to watch your tongue, peasant. I will not have hired help speak to me in such a fashion."

Mist glared right back.

"And you'll do your best to watch what you say, or else I'll make the floor below you dissolve into water."

Legato glared, but then he waved a hoof.

"A peasant as low as you is not worthy of my time."

He looked at Lightning and flashed a charming smile.

"Now, Lady Hurricane, I am having a rather extravagant lawn party later tonight to celebrate a successful musical compilation with the rest of the other nobles. I would be honored for you to come join us as an esteemed guest so that we can all discuss business ventures together. After all, a mare of such standard like yourself deserves to attend only the most prestigious of parties and social get-togethers."

Fine scoffed and Mist seethed as she glared at him, hoping her look wold burn a hole through his head.

Back to top Go down
EvenMotion

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 3:15 pm

Lightning eyed him cooly. "Mr. Legato. I am still settling into my current state of affairs. I have only just begun to sort through my honors and obligations, of which I do not fully understand."

She almost growled but held back her emotion for the moment. "Unfortunately, I will not attend, since you insist to call both my friend and my lover beneath you."

The stallion's jaw dropped. He seemed confused. "L-l... What? That's quite a jest for our first meeting, you, uh, had me going quite well there."

Lightning began to call on the air in the room, pushing the temperature a little bit higher. "It was not a joke. And since you insist that I mean otherwise, it goes to show that while you talk of one thing, you mean quite another. I know for a fact that you were eavesdropping on me. In the Princess' castle, of whom I happen to be a student of."

He sat there trying to take it in.

"If you'll excuse me, I have some catching up to do. Perhaps we will meet another time under better circumstances, where you have given me and my friends the respect I deserve."

Back to top Go down
Black Tribal

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   24/12/2012, 3:33 pm

Lord Legato felt the energy leaving him from the pressure of the heat in the room. Mist lead Lightning past him with Fine trailing behind them. Mist sent one last glare at him until they continued down the hall, ignoring whatever words he was saying. Unfortunately, Fine heard them from the stallion.

"Do not think that your encounter with me will be forgotten! I'm sure my fellow acquaintances will be find this little incident quite interesting! You will regret what you have done!"

They turned the corner, now losing what he was saying. Fine sighed wearily.

"'Tis a pity that Miss Octavia is loosely related to the Legato family. She is such a sweet mare, and is one of my favorite clients. I'll see what I can dig up from her, if she is willing to share."

Mist sighed and finally gave Fine and small smile.

"Thanks Fine. You're a great friend to have."

Fine blushed and giggled.

"It is not a problem, Mist darling. I am more than willing to assist you and your loves."

She gave a sad sigh, but still smiled.

"Ohhh, if only I could find my own love as well. My heart aches for the attention of another. After what we have been though, I wouldn't even mind being with a mare now. It still makes me feel nervous about what my clients would think, but you, Mist and Lightning, have shown that you couldn't, pardon the language, give a flying damn about what others think."

Mist smiled and made her way over to Fine. She nuzzled her, making the lawyer mare blush again.

"Thank you Fine. You'll find love...."

The image of a fire loving unicorn mare fluttered through her head, making Mist smile wider.

"....I'm very sure that there's already someone out there, working up the courage to say the three magic words."

Fine smiled even bigger.

"I sure hope so."

They continued down the hall, all three in better spirits now.

-------

http://bronyawakening.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=1123

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lights of Harmony   

Back to top Go down

The Lights of Harmony
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40