Brony Awakening

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

2001: A Space Odyssey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Topsy Kretts

PostSubject: 2001: A Space Odyssey    10/4/2012, 10:14 pm

That feel when you finally finish watching Space Odyssey.

I swear, this movie is weirder than the Human Centipede. I was very wrong when I thought the black monolith was as weird and psychologically demanding as it gets. The last third of the movie was almost entirely built on demented implications, too alien for general people like me to bother understanding. It was like the opening of Doctor Who 10 times longer, with a lot of alien and mental insanity, and a lot of messing around with colors. But that part isn't what puts the pit in my stomach, the last scene was some of the weirdest shit I've ever witnessed. I'm not describing the kind of weird you get when explaining the concept of a human centipede, that's just plain violent and too human. The kind of weird in this scene is the kind you get in a very mentally deranged dream of an incredibly intelligent -almost omniscient- being, who is in a very very dark place.

Right, enough of me rambling of the eccentricity and deranged mentality of Stanley Kubrick, time to give this movie a quick rating: 5/10

Despite how revolutionary the visuals were, or how imaginative the way it's directed, or how awe inspiring the music is, or how incredibly clever it was. It just wasn't good entertainment as a movie that was 2 and a half hours long. I admit that I admire the movie, but I believe it was much better off as a nice good 'ol Lovecraft-esque short story. A big -4 for what I believe would'ave been a very very entertaining and thought provoking movie, and a -1 for how excruciatingly long he had to make each scene. I mean seriously, what today's directors could convey quite well could be done with 1 minute instead of 10. I'm such a bad critic.

Anyway, whatever Kubrick tried to convey, could only be conveyed with deep analysis of 2001: A Space Odyssey. But despite the rating, I will acknowledge that movie as a masterpiece, and a very elaborate troll.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
http://hellbreaker2012.deviantart.com
DarkSnivy

PostSubject: Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey    10/4/2012, 10:21 pm

wut

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey    10/4/2012, 11:30 pm

Watch the sequel um. 2010 a something odyssey I think, it explains a bit more and it's pretty cool.

MY GOD. IT'S FULL OF STARS
Back to top Go down
CloudConnection

PostSubject: Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey    11/4/2012, 7:34 am

I have to say, I sort of agree and disagree with you on the "not-good entertainment" part. Yes, I agree, it really does drag on and the message the the movie conveyed could have been told much better in a shorter time, and yes, some parts were just uneventful and not entertaining. However, I don't think the movie's purpose was to be entertainment as much as an experience. It tells a story, but it tells it in its own different kind of way - through its own unique visuals. That, in my mind, equates to something that really, on its own, is truly magnificent and a spectacle to behold, but truly, not something to be compared with anything else.

Still, not my favorite Kubrick film. That title still belongs to Full Metal Jacket.

Back to top Go down
http://bronyawakening.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey    

Back to top Go down

2001: A Space Odyssey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1